Wednesday, April 22, 2009

TRIPLE DIGITS??


I guess I should be grateful that it didn't heat up sooner. It seems like the weather has stayed pretty nice up until last weekend.... longer into Spring than it usually does. BUT STILL.... *whining* I'm just not ready for this heat yet. Yuck... wish we still had a pool! It's funny, we had a pool in our last house and in almost 4 years I could have probably counted the times I set foot in it. Now, I don't have one and that's all I seem to be obsessing on since seeing 102 degrees on our thermometer yesterday! Thankfully the garden is FINALLY finished! We seemed to get the last of it done (fence is up too!) right before the insane temps began. Now, if we see growth, I'll be truly amazed! I've never attempted a vegetable garden and know very little about gardening....period.... especially in our climate! All I can say is YAY for the internet & YAY for my daughter and her little "green thumb"! : ) It's got to work right? Kaydee spurred my curiosity with her recent gardening project in school. She came home from school one day (just before Spring break) with her little bean sprout in a dixie cup. Remember those? So cute! Anyway, Kaydee was just beaming! I promised her that we would try to plant a garden. She really does seem to have a green thumb which is definitely a good thing considering that most plants would probably genuflect if they could as I plant them! I try.... really I DO! I've had success with my plant/shrub choices in the front yard. I've even had success with my potted plants on our front porch! Well, except for the poor lavender plant that I apparently watered just a little too much (in a non-ventilated pot). R.I.P. little lavender. Still though, feeling a little confident, I willingly embarked on our gardening adventure! Kaydee, has run to the garden every morning since we planted to check and see if anything has grown. Nothing yet... well, 1 weed, which she was sad to see me pick. I told her not to worry as I'm sure he had friends that would be surfacing soon. She's so proud of our little garden... me too! Kaydee is probably most excited about the pumpkins she planted... she insisted that we had to have our own pumpkin patch. I'm excited to see if the carrots take root.... or the squash, beans, onions, corn or peas. *fingers crossed* that we see something (other than weeds). Next step, planting some berry plants on the outside edge of the garden and learning how to compost. My Grandfather had the most beautiful flower garden (in New York city too!) and he had his very own compost bin behind the garage. I remember being so excited as a kid to run scraps of carrot peels or coffee grounds to the bin. My Grandmother could hardly finish preparing a meal before I was off and running to the bin with all of the composting scraps.
Well, LOTS to do today and should probably hop to it.... hopefully, not as hot as it was yesterday but I know that's pretty wishful thinking. *sigh* ~*~CIAO~*~

2 comments:

  1. I'm with ya on the heat. I really dread summers. Best of luck with the garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Donna!!!!!!!!!!! I sent out an email to my people about your blog and I goofed, I think they are gunna be confused cuz this is like a my space.. I found the blogs to the right.. How can I let them know its to the right of this?? Those are the coolest sites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing! HUGS

    ReplyDelete